Attorney corporation

A law firm wanting to form a professional corporation to provide legal services in the state of New York must submit the following to the Department of of State:
1.  A Certificate of Incorporation with the stated profession of "Law"
2.  A Certificate of Good Standing from the Appellate Division of the county in which the company is located.  See below for further details about ordering this.
3.  All appropriate filing fees (see New York State Fees for more information)

Obtaining a Certificate of Good Standing
A Certificate of Good Standing attests that an attorney was licensed and admitted to practice in the courts of this state on a given date, has registered with the Office of Court Administration (“OCA”), and is in “good standing,” that is, the attorney is not currently suspended or disbarred. Certificates of Good Standing will only be issued by the Appellate Division where the attorney was admitted. Certificates are issued only if attorney is current in OCA registration and biennial registration fees.


Make check or money order (no case) for $5.00 payable to “CLERK APPELLATE DIVISION: and send with Certificate of Good Standing Request Form (along with a self-addressed, stamped, return envelope) to:


By Mail to:

Attorney Records Clerk
Appellate Division, First Judicial Department
41 Madison Avenue (at 26th Street) - 26th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10010


In Person:

You may also apply for a certificate in person from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. [bring photo ID].  If you send a representative, they must also have a letter (on attorney’s letterhead) signed by the attorney, identifying the representative and his/her authority to pick up the certificate on the attorney’s behalf.